Helpful Safety Tips from Workers’ Compensation Carrier, Pinnacol Assurance
According to the National Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries from the U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, employers experienced 4,836 fatal workplace injuries in 2015, and roadway incident fatalities claimed more than one-quarter of the total. You can protect your organization’s most valuable asset — your employees — by promoting safe driving practices.
In work site procedures and workplace signage, encourage these 10 safe driving practices to reduce the risks faced by your employees when they get behind the wheel:
1. Inspect the vehicle. Check the lights, gauges, brakes, horn, tires, windshield wipers, fluids, belts and mirrors.
2. Secure cargo such as tools and other equipment.
3. Buckle up. A seatbelt reduces risk of death by 45 percent in cars and by 60 percent in light trucks.
4. Drive defensively.
5. Avoid distractions. Put down the cell phone and do not text.
6. Don’t wear headphones or earbuds while driving.
7. Avoid impairment.
8. Avoid aggressive driving.
9. Maintain a safe distance between moving vehicles and slow down during inclement weather.
10. Take security measures. Carry vehicle information at all times, secure the vehicle and avoid parking lots with poor lighting or sightlines.
Visit Pinnacol’s Knowledge Center page on driving safety. The many resources on this webpage for workers compensation insurance policyholders include a sample driving and traffic violation policy, defensive driving quizzes, a vehicle safety checklist, seatbelt safety posters in English and Spanish, a short defensive driving video, and additional tools and tips to enhance the motor vehicle safety of your employees. We are very appreciative of the educational services Pinnacol Assurance provides to assist our clients in keeping their business and employees safe.
Please contact the RSS office if you need assistance in setting up or implementing a “Safety Program” for your business. Implementing safety procedures will provide credits and help lower your workers’ compensation premiums. One of our knowledgable agents or account managers will be more than happy to assist you in getting you started with plan implementation. Let’s keep your employees safe and your vehicles undamaged!